Robert Mazur spent five years undercover infiltrating the criminal hierarchy of Colombia’s drug cartels. The dirty bankers and businessmen he befriended—some of whom still shape power across the globe—knew him as Bob Musella, a wealthy, mob-connected big shot living the good life. Together they partied in $1,000-per-night hotel suites, drank bottles of the world’s finest champagne, drove Rolls-Royce convertibles, and flew in private jets. But under Mazur’s Armani suits and in his Renwick briefcase, recorders whirred quietly, capturing the damning evidence of their crimes. Then, at a staged wedding, he led a dramatic take down that shook the underworld. In the end, more than eighty men and women were charged worldwide. Operation C-Chase became one of the most successful undercover operations in the history of U.S. law enforcement, and evidence gathered during the bust proved critical to the conviction of General Manuel Noriega.
"The Infiltrator" is the story of how Mazur helped bring down the unscrupulous bankers who manipulated complex international finance systems to serve drug lords—including Pablo Escobar—corrupt politicians, tax cheats, and terrorists. It is, at its broadest, a shocking chronicle of the rise and fall of perhaps the biggest and most intricate money-laundering operation of all time—an enterprise that cleaned and moved hundreds of millions of dollars a year. At its heart, it’s a stunning and vivid portrait of an undercover life—and the sacrifices it required.
Filled with dangerous lies, near misses, and harrowing escapes, "The Infiltrator" is as bracing and explosive as the greatest fiction thrillers—only it’s all true.
Product DetailsCOPYRIGHT 2009
Hardcover, 368 PAGES
LITTLE BROWN AND CO.
Table of Contents:
- Chapter 1: In the Beginning
- Chapter 2: The Birth of Robert Musella
- Chapter 3: Setting the Stage for the Colombians
- Chapter 4: The Bank of Credit and Commerce International
- Chapter 5: The Jeweler
- Chapter 6: The Golden Hook
- Chapter 7: The Magic of Panama
- Chapter 8: Pushing Buttons
- Chapter 9: Politics
- Chapter 10: Los Duros and Los Angeles
- Chapter 11: Luring Them In
- Chapter 12: The Fight Before Europe
- Chapter 13: The European Plan
- Chapter 14: Medellin Invades Paris
- Chapter 15: Revelations
- Chapter 16: The Enemy Within
- Chapter 17: The First Big Catch
- Chapter 18: The Confessional
- Chapter 19: Loose Ends
- Chapter 20: The Takedown
- Chapter 21: Battles
- Chapter 22: The Trials
- Epilogue: The Aftermath